Manic: When I’m not paying attention because I’m so busy, my posture tends to give in to my overloaded schedule and I slouch. Posture is something I need to work on, especially when I tell my kids to stand up straight. Guess I should set the example!
Managed: Asked our yoga expert which pose helps with posture while also giving the shoulders a good stretch. His answer turns out to be my favorite yoga pose and I had no idea that this feel-good stretch had so many benefits!
Cobra Pose: Bhujangasana
*Stretches the chest, shoulders, lungs and abdominal muscles
*Strengthens the lower back
*Lengthens and strengthens the spine
1. Lie on the floor with your hands placed under the shoulders and legs straight.
2. Press the tops of your feet and thighs firmly into the floor as you draw your elbows in close to the body.
3. On an inhalation, press into your palms and use the muscles of your low back to lift the chest off the floor.
4. As you exhale, press your legs firmly in to the mat as you release your shoulder blades down towards the hips.
5. Lengthen through the crown of your head and keep your gaze towards your nose until you become open enough in the chest to lift the head without compressing the back of the neck.
6. Press the tailbone toward the heels and lift the front hipbones toward the navel. Hug the hips inward as you draw the navel inward and up towards the heart.
7. Widen the collar bones as you soften the lower ribs inward. Lift through the sternum and keep the ears in line with the shoulders.
***Contraindications and Cautions:
Carpal tunnel syndrome
About Roman Acevedo, Yoga Instructor
Roman began practicing yoga in 2000 to complement his rigorous workout and hectic work schedule. Leading to increased strength, concentration and flexibility, he found yoga far more beneficial in restoring peace in any stressful environment. Studying under Andrew Eppler and local instructors Dave Oliver, Cheryl Oliver and John Salisbury, Roman is currently working towards the 500 hour advanced Yoga Instructor training.
Read more about Roman on our team bio page.
What is your favorite yoga pose? Tell us in the comments section.